Monday, March 22, 2010

A Simple Life


I don't believe in frettin' and grievin';

Why mess around with strife?

I never was cut out to step and strut out.

Give me the simple life.


A cottage small is all I'm after,

Not one that's spacious and wide.

A house that rings with joy and laughter

And the ones you love inside.


Some like the high road, I like the low road

Free from the care and strife.

Sounds corny and seedy, but yes, indeed-y;

Give me the simple life.


"Give me the Simple Life" by Harry Ruby & Rube Bloom


While Matt was here, we talked a lot about how much his life has changed as he sold everything and set out with his family, taking nothing but the basics. I tell ya... I'm very proud of him for taking that scary step not knowing what the future would hold for him and his family. They found so many blessings and miracles on their journey and discovered that it was far better than expected. The point of our discussion was the joy of simplicity and Matt's dreams for a future without all the unnecessary "stuff" that we feel we have to have to keep up with the rat race.

I related to his feelings and vision. In childhood, my mother did have an eye for style and at the same time, it was simple. No fancy chandeliers. No china dishes in a glass cabinet. No fancy carpet that we weren't allowed to walk on. She did have nice, simple couches and rugs and a few paintings on the walls. In my time with my mentor, I was taught to live on very little. Didn't have furniture, TV, decorations, etc.. We were controlled tightly in this area so when all was said and done, we've had to go back and rethink it all. Since that time, I have purchased some simple furniture... not a lot has changed, but I have had feelings of wanting to have lots of nice stuff. I went straight out of high school to working with this mentor so I never really had a chance to have my own identity on this. I'm so glad that Matt was able to bring this subject up so I could take another look at it and do a self check with where my values and goals are. I don't feel that I would be more important to others if I have a bunch of nice things... however, I do feel that there is a place to express identity through the things you have around you. Eventually there is a balance and everyone gets to look at that and make the decision where it is for them. It's an individual choice.

My temporal desires are to have nice quality, but not fancy. Simple yet pleasing. I am just getting started with evaluating where I want to go with my temporal life. More importantly I feel my heart is moved towards a life of service and because of that, my mind doesn't think a lot on "stuff" and "things". The trick, I feel, will be as I can get things rolling, to keep the focus. So now is the time I can prepare and set my standards ahead, so if ever I question it, I will have things lined out to fall back on. Isn't this something that couples do when they decide to marry? Wouldn't it be a responsible thing to do so my quality of life doesn't get "high-jacked" by the affluent need to have more than the next guy? Shouldn't keeping my core values and beliefs anchored help me to steer through the temptations that cause so many to fall into pride, debt and all kinds of pitfalls? So "set it", "know it" and "stick with it". I did this for my 15 years away... I can do it again in this beautiful new place.

Thanks again Matt & Heather for the great conversation!

I look forward to the next one!

Courtney


No comments: